Pranayama simply translated means to manipulate energy: Prana ‘energy, life force’ Yama ‘to manipulate, control’
Prana is talked about a lot in Yoga. On a basic level it is accessed through the breath, the vital energy that keeps us alive and reflects our emotions and well being.
Unconscious breathing often mirrors our internal world, the patterns of our mind as they react to experiences of the external world whether past, present or attempting to foresee the future. We can unintentionally become stuck in a well known ‘monkey mind’ of internal chaos and dialogue creating a whirlpools of thought, emotion and expectations, that impart mild to severe effects on our mental, emotional and physical well being.
Learning techniques to calm, control, expand, settle or invigorate your breath can result in an incredibly powerful development of focus and clarity in the mind- literally allowing us to change the way we feel and approach life.
This course will be taught over two parts to allow you time to practice and develop what you learn between sessions. Our Introduction to Pranayama will include understanding the effects of posture, mood and well being on your energy and breath, moving towards more advanced practices and observations of the mind.
- What is Pranayama?
- Posture and Breath
- Learn ways to a healthy breathing pattern and expand your energy
- Breathing for Fight or Flight: How restricted breath effects our energy and respiratory, cardiac, nervous and endocrine systems
- How restricted breath affects our emotional and mental well being
- Obstacles to Pranayama – How to overcome difficulties in breathing practice
- Yin & Yang Styles of Pranayama
- Practice and develop your understanding of 12 styles of Breathing techniques and how they can benefit your life.
Workshop I : 12-2.30pm Saturday 21st Oct 2017 – Benefits, How to practice, 10 styles and affects.
Workshop II : 12-12.30pm Saturday 18th Oct 2017 – Creating retention & staggered breaths, Bandha teachniques, Yin Pranayama
£25 each or £50
This course is suitable for beginners and experienced Yogis.
To book or for more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 07496 802147.